The Undertakers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ultimate Pathing Guide

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jaymond
Admin
Admin
Jaymond

Ultimate Pathing Guide Empty
PostSubject: Ultimate Pathing Guide   Ultimate Pathing Guide EmptySun May 01, 2011 1:30 am

Monster Pathing: A better understanding

Hi there! Welcome to my first ever guide in understanding how pathing works in BYM. I'll be showing you guys my experiments through visual presentations that lead me to conclude my findings and from there we can then use that to build well-designed bases. This guide will focus on using the blocks to its full potential to force monsters to path the way we want them to.

The Basics:
As David Scott explains and as well found in other threads (credits to Kodiak)

* Monsters first look for the closest buildings (by line of sight)
* They then figure out the path to the 3 closest
* They then take the path that is the shortest.
* While walking they repeat the above 3 steps every now and then (in case the path they take takes them closer to another target)
* New path has to be more than just shorter, it has to be 20% shorter (prevents NEPoH, at least that's the plan)
* If a monster targets building A, then gets closer to building B and in going to B gets closer to A again it won't re-target to A (prevents ping-ponging between buildings).

In the case of blocks it will force the monsters to find another area to path and reach their target. They may chew on the block, pass right through if there's a gap between them or have them move around the structures making them travel longer.Monsters behave differently as well how you place the blocks against each other. Here are some pictures showing how the monsters will attack the target.

A.)ONE-LINE-BLOCKS
Ultimate Pathing Guide Onelineblocks
By placing them horizontally or vertically from each other, monsters will path an area where it favors them to reach the target much closer to their line of sight. In the sample given the open spaces are the favorable areas they will path to reach it. If blocks enclose the whole structure, monsters will munch at it unless you put an opening that forces them to go in that direction.

B.)OTHER BLOCK PLACING
Ultimate Pathing Guide Otherblockplacing
It's true that monsters pass through gaps in between the blocks or if they are placed diagonally. However that only happens depending on the line of sight of the monsters towards its target and how the building is placed adjacent to the blocks. In the sample above, the sniper tower was placed touching the blocks and by line of sight of the monster they instead munched on the wall instead of just passing through as that favored them.

C.)LENGHT OF BLOCKS
The debate nowadays is the question on how long or how many blocks does it need to make monsters path instead of directly eating the block?..After countless experiments this is my finding as shown in the picture below.
Ultimate Pathing Guide Lenghtofblock
It is clearly shown here that the reason why monster B went around the blocks because from their line of sight it found an opening after 12 blocks and that favored them to reach the target. As for monster A the blocks are too long from left and right of its line of sight forcing it to chew the block instead.

To make it more precise, monsters path to a maximum of 10-12 blocks from their line of sight. See the last portion of the thread to see how everything is integrated together.

D.)MAKING OPENINGS
Making openings in the line of blocks is vital as well in controlling monster pathing. below are some ways how to go about in doing it.
Ultimate Pathing Guide Makinganopening
The most effective opening you can place is at least one when surrounding the structure with blocks. The reason for this is that monsters are grouped together making AOE (Area of Effect) towers such as the laser and the cannon's fire power more effective in bringing them down and as well a single booby trap carefully placed will destroy them all.

TIP:

I will not say that placing blocks diagonally or putting in gaps in between them is bad for as long as you placed them that way for a purpose. For example, by forcing monsters to eat the block they will clump together making a single booby trap hidden next to it to be effective in bringing them all down.

E.) MAZING

Mazing is tricky to do with blocks. It requires constant testing or tweaking to get the desired results. Let me show my experiments through this pictures. The blue broken lines indicate monster movement.
Ultimate Pathing Guide Mazing
The tricky part here is whether or not the monsters pass through the narrow opening to reach the second tower. As presented, a distance of at least 3 blocks with a double-space opening will make them path to the next target. However,increasing the number of blocks with a double space opening will not make them path anymore. I have to make the opening bigger to force them to path.(see below)
Ultimate Pathing Guide Mazingwithopening

By enforcing what has been learned so far, here are some mazing styles you can incorporate in your yard:
Ultimate Pathing Guide Mazingstyles

TIP:
To create successful mazing inside your design you have to constantly test it with the baiter or with a friend. The blocks may seem right in their position or you have followed the basic principles as stated above BUT putting them all together in your yard will really yield different results so you have to test it countless times imagining every possible scenario, how the monsters will behave if you place one building in this location, or if this building was destroyed what path do they take and etc.

F.) BLOCK TYPES
Blocks as we all know are of 4 types: wooden, stone, metal, and gold. There was a thread where one was questioning which is the best block. The answer of course is obvious and that my friend is the golden block for 2 main reasons:

1.) Higher HP means it won't be easily destroyed by a catapult attack,
2.) it needs 2 eye-ras to destroy it and
3.) looks more epic in a yard. XD

The question is how is pathing affected when you have different levels of blocks present in your yard? The answer is they do affect pathing. Let me show a simple set-up to better explain this. Below is a set-up of 2 RGs spearated with a long line of blocks (not fully shown to save space). My goal here is to force the monsters to eat through the wooden block to reach the other building. Red line shows how the monsters pathed.
Ultimate Pathing Guide Blocktype
Now,only set-up A passed the test. What then are those conditions that made the monsters to eat the wooden block? See below:

1.) 2 blocks of lower levels must be placed against each other.
2.) Both these blocks must be aligned with the building.
3.) the gap between the building and the block must not be lower than a double-space opening and not exceed a triple-space opening.

So in conclusion, lower level blocks when placed in the correct conditions will make monsters path differently.

G.) SILO DEATHRAP (SDT)
One Important aspect that you need to consider in creating your base is incorporating a silo deathrap. Nowadays, this has been a must-have in every yard to protect much better the Town Hall and the Silos are these are the buildings which are in top priority for protection. Why? because if the attacker munches on one silo he will gain 4% of the total resources in bank and the TH will give 8% for it. Several designs have been made with the SDT. But to make it successfull in its purpose is to force the monsters to path the entrances leading to it without having them to break a wall to get to the silos and the TH. And of course the booby traps placed in that area will give the attacker a hard time to loot the resources away. Here are some pictures of SDTs which I created:
Ultimate Pathing Guide Sdtd

TIP:
Create first your SDT by parts as shown in the second picture above. Test it countless times. Once the desired results are achieved placed them all together then test it again. As per experience having a maximum of 2 entrances will make the SDT more effective for 2 reasons. One is better control of monster pathing and second is to to make use of the traps more effectively.

ADDED INFO:
As shown below, If I place an RG adjacent to the blocks and the silo, they will move around the next 10-11 blocks. On the other side, if you count the blocks from the open space up to the block that touches the silo first there are 11 blocks. Monsters still choose to eat through the block to get to the silo for the main reason that their line of sight is diminished since they were close to the target favoring them instead to munch the wall to get to it.
Ultimate Pathing Guide Cullenw

How concepts are integrated
From the said concepts then from the beginning of this thread we can then make a conclusion that monster's movement around the block is influenced by:
1.) their line of sight (how close they are to the target)
2.) how many walls are there that favored them to reach the target at a shorter distance,
3.) the presence of gaps in that line or blocks positioned diagonally (by corner) at each other and
4.) the placement of the targets (buildings) inside or outside the wall structure / building's placement in relation to its distance from the block.

By PokeySlayer on the CC forum.
Back to top Go down

Ultimate Pathing Guide
Page 1 of 1